Senior Advisor, Communications
Who we are looking for
Communica is looking for a high-energy, enthusiastic professional to join our team as a Senior Advisor, Communications. This person is passionate about communications and stays abreast of trends and best practices.
The role of Senior Advisor, Communications is primarily responsible for leading the development and implementation of complex communications strategies that meet our clients’ project and organizational objectives.
Aboriginal and stakeholder engagement is core to our service offering. The ideal candidate understands how engagement programs for resource projects meet the requirements of regulators and their environmental assessment processes.
Reports to: Manager, Engagement and Communication
- Support or lead the development and implementation of detailed strategic communication plans and campaign strategies that are tailored to the needs of the client.
- Highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to review communications programs and make recommendations for improvements in efficiency and clarity.
- Create and edit communication project materials including key messages, backgrounders/ briefing notes, reports, surveys, fact sheets, discussion papers, display boards, stakeholder profiles, speeches, presentations, advertisements, surveys, digital content, etc.
- Strategize and implement digital and social media programs with a clear understanding of trends and platforms.
- Support media relations programs including media engagement and drafting news releases.
- Provide issues management and crisis communications planning and advice.
- Exceptional writing skills and the ability to develop compelling narratives that resonate with audiences.
- Support senior management with writing and editing complex stakeholder and Aboriginal engagement plans.
- Develop strong relationships with suppliers to deliver quality materials on time and within budget.
- Manage events from concept development to implementation and evaluation.
- Participate and contribute at internal and external meetings to discuss projects, issues, and to provide support and problem solving to the team.
- Assist with the development of business proposals.
- Develop and maintain relationships with representatives of potential clients as part of business development.
- Assist with the development of business development presentations, and participate in client pitches, if required.
- Provides direction to Advisors, as required.
Our ideal candidate has the following qualifications and traits
- 5 years of experience in communications or public relations, with a focus on resource or infrastructure projects and public involvement programs.
- Degree or diploma in communications, public relations, journalism or related field.
- Strong verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate smart and sometimes complex solutions or technical information to a variety of audiences.
- Strong written communication skills, including the ability to review and edit documents for plain language, grammar and consistency.
- Ability to manage multiple client tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Ability to produce deliverables within hour-based timeframes to ensure projects stay on budget.
- Attention to detail even under tight timelines.
- Embraces Communica’s corporate values and demonstrates them in daily relationships.
- A team player who demonstrates respect and collaboration with colleagues at all levels.
- Avoids silo thinking and prioritizes the overall organization’s success.
- Looks for opportunities to mentor advisors in career growth.
- Understanding of the energy and power markets and regulatory environments in Alberta and British Columbia would be an asset.
- Solid understanding of AdobeSuite, WordPress, Microsoft Office and social media tools.
- Membership in CPRS, IABC or IAP2 would be an asset.